.¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ♥ Hello! Welcome and thank you for visiting my Blog! A blog about Celebrating LIFE and all it's wonders... A blog about ART ~ POLYMER CLAY CREATIONS ~ PHOTOGRAPHY and so much more! I have such fun with my blog, sharing stories, and the things that capture my imagination! I am so inspired by the artists and creations that I also share here, it is my hope that you will be inspired too!!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Story of a Broken Well

Back in February I wrote about our broken well, which happened during one of our worst winter storms of the season... It was a funny, yet not so funny post.  Here's the link to that post for those who may have missed it: Pictures of a Snowstorm  

...So, it's now June and we are still faced with our broken well.  We knew we had to finish out the winter before trying to fix it, the ground needed to thaw... So we had to find another way of getting water to our house. We rotate three big barrels of water to the house.  I say we, but it's George and our son who have been hauling water here in the big barrels every other day for the last four months.  Now that may seem fairly easy... But NO!  They have to go get the water, bring it here and lug the barrels down to our basement (on a dolly) ~ Yes, it's been a rough time of hauling water to the house since February, it was especially 'fun' during the winter with the snow and ice! At least it's better weather conditions now that it's summertime.


Here's where we are now... We are trying to fix our well, hoping that we won't have to dig a new one... George has already replaced the galvanized metal piping with PCV piping, fixed the broken seal and cleaned the plugged up points... While that was part of the problem, it wasn't the entire problem.  Now he is working on cleaning the screen at the bottom of the piping.  Sediment has built up and we are hoping that once it's cleaned, then the water will fill faster and our well will work.  If this doesn't fix the problem, then we will have to dig a new well.  Unfortunately it's taking time for George to see if all his 'fixes' actually fixed the well, because he's only able to work on it mostly on the weekends.

There are quite a few funny moments that have occurred during our time with a broken well... It goes kind of like this: The well pump is temporarily bypassing the well and is hooked directly to the hoses in the barrels.  So yes, we have running water, but I can't tell you how many times we thought there was enough water for a shower and we'd run out mid shower... Usually that happened to me, hair full of shampoo... 20 minutes until I have to leave for work... Then there's the debate:  "Do Dishes or a load of laundry" ~ "Boil water for the spaghetti dinner or eat something different and save the water for a pot of coffee in the morning" ~ So, me being the worry wart that I am... Now I have to worry about things like flushing the toilet too many times and we may not have enough water to brush our teeth, or enough water to fill Izzie's water bowl, she's a big dog, it's a big bowl... Oh the stories, and some day they will be funny, I'm sure! LOL!



I must say, until we had no water I really didn't realize how much water is used in a day... Or how much we depend on it coming out of the faucet when we turn the knob!!!  I guess I always took water for granted, you can't do ANYTHING without water... I think that for the rest of my life any time I'm about to do anything 'water related' I will be asking the one question that I have said and heard so many times these past months;  "Is there enough water right now for me to... shower, do dishes, laundry... etc." LOL! 

.¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ♥ So, please keep your fingers crossed, along with me, that we will soon have a fixed well, without having the expense of digging a new one.  Thanks :)
~Trina

12 comments:

  1. Good luck getting things back to 'normal'! You're right, we take wonders like clean, abundant, running water for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Melissa, I appreciate the good luck wish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trina,

    Oh my...four months without a well! Wow! When we lived rural we were without water for 5 days due to Hurricane Isabel knocking out the power and I couldn't stand it and with a houseful of 4 males! I don't know how you've been doing it for 4 months!

    Hope you get it all fixed soon.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Dee! I'm not quite sure how we've been doing it for four months either! LOL! Hopefully we're nearing the end of our broken well days!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so rooting for all of the fixes you are trying!! I can't even imagine what it's been like for you guys...!
    Life is kinda funny though, you will most likely be laughing about this one day...hopefully one day very, very, soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tina! Keeping our fingers crossed we'll have well water running through our pipes SOON! In the meantime, we are definitely trying to laugh already... I have to laugh or I'd probably cry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope it gets fixed soon. I totally relate to life with a well. Ours just got a new pump. And yes, it went out when I was in the shower. How does it know?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL Julie! I agree... How does it know?! :) Wells are 'fun' ~ Aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, I couldn't imagine not having water! I bet you'll appreciate every drop for the rest of your life after this fiasco!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right Paige, I sure will appreciate every drop of water for the rest of my life!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trina, You are to be admired. You sure have that pioneer spirit and some creative solutions. I hope that your "Make do" will soon be well, well, WELL! I grew up without running water for a few years and I have to say your are doing a admirable job of surviving with grace and humor (in spite of times when there's no water to rinse out your shampoo.) I sure hope things will get MUCH easier for you VERY soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Anita! I don't know how your family went without running water for so long! You and your family are to be admired for that! It's been tough for only four months... I can't imagine a few years!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting today! Please leave your comments... I look forward to them, and really enjoy reading them! Have a wonderful day!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...